10 July 2013

Respect

I am spending a month on a family medicine rotation.

The specialty of family medicine encompasses pediatrics, internal medicine, obstetrics, gynecology, and basic surgery. I've always been wary of family medicine, because it seems to me that their scope of practice is so huge that there's no way that a family medicine practitioner could be proficient in everything they purport to know. Family medicine is also considered the least-competitive specialty in medicine, one of the only specialties where students with nearly-failing board scores can count on matching.

But the doctor I've been paired up with has shaken my preconceptions of the specialty. Perhaps it's because he's been practicing for decades, but he seems excellent at caring for his patients and has an impressive knowledge base. And he's been a great teacher to boot. I've been working quite industriously, and we've developed a good rapport. He lets me pick which patients I see, and he seriously considers my exam findings, my differential diagnosis, and my treatment recommendations. I'm surprised at how much leeway he's given me. It makes me to want to be on the absolute top of my game, so that my patients can do well by me and so that I don't disappoint him.

Some doctors are not just stellar at their craft but are well-meaning and are good teachers. Encountering such a doctor is a stroke of good fortune, and working closely with one is a delight. I worked with one such doctor on trauma surgery, and it looks like the doctor I'm currently paired up with is one more. It makes waking up in the mornings much easier.

A previous post on good teachers is here.

1 comment:

jimbo26 said...

They are giving you confidence in yourself .

Post a Comment